Friday, January 28, 2011

1/27/2011...you are up to NO good!

{WARNING:  Its a long one}

Oh yesterday...what a horrible day.

I awoke to Wayne screaming my name.  It was the most horrible sound ever and I cannot seem to get it out of my head.  I keep hearing it over and over again.  It sends chills through my body.

I shot out of bed, grabbed Parker and ran downstairs to find Wayne lying on the kitchen floor by the door to the garage.  As I got closer I noticed his right foot was pretty much turned backwards {I wanted to pass out}.  He had stepped on a hidden patch of ice under the snow and had a serious fall.  The WORST part of it all is when he fell he was outside alone, no me, no neighbors, no one.  He laid there screaming and finally realized he was going to have to pull himself up the driveway, thru the garage and into the house.  Knowing this broke my heart.  I cannot even imagine doing that, being in so much pain.

I laid Parker on the couch, knelt down to try and console Wayne and find out what happened, dialed 911 and YELLED at them to get here and called my neighbor to take care of Parker...all of this in about 1 minute.  After all this I realized I had no pants or bra on, so I ran upstairs to get dressed before everyone arrived!  I didnt want to scare anyone!!

The EMTs and police were here with minutes and my sweet neighbor Jen did high knees through the yard {which currently consist of about 3 feet of snow} and was also here in just a few short minutes.

The EMTs were all a little shocked by the sight of Waynes foot and even more shocked that he was inside.  Their first queston was "How did you get in here".  When we told them their eyes enlarged!  They got him on the board, iv'd up and off to the hospital we went!!

When we got to the ER they got Wayne on more pain meds, oxygen and assessed everything.  They took him in for an xray to see what exactly they were dealing with and poor Wayne needed more meds when they were done with that...ouch!  The xray showed that Wayne had broken his ankle in 3 places...both sides and in the back. {the tibia, fibula and I forget the other}

They decided the first step was to reset his ankle into the correct position.  Of course with all of my medical experience I said..."so basically you are going to do what Callie does on Greys Anatomy?"  When they told me yes...I freaked out.  I cant even watch that on tv!

They told me it would be best for me to leave the room.  Not only would I not want to see this, but they were giving him a strong medicine known as truth serum that would possibly cause Wayne to say things he shouldn't!  Our nurse said it tends to cause fights so she recommends spouses leave.  I felt this was for the best too as I am the only one who is up here to care for Wayne, so the last thing he needed was to tick me off!!

I went to the waiting room and 15 minutes later they came for me...I went back and Wayne has no recollection of this event taking place!!  PTL!!

The ER docs told us at this point they would set him in a temporary cast, call the on call Ortho doc to set up a follow up for the following day and we would be on our way.  Not the case!

The on call Ortho doc happened to be in the ER and came to see Wayne immediately after they paged him {I felt like it was the twilight zone...when does anything happen quickly in an ER??}  After looking at his xrays he said there would be no going home and no waiting, Wayne was going into surgery that day.

Again...me freaking out!!
I have a husband in the ER who I am being told is going into surgery.  I have a new baby whom I have never left at home with neighbors{who I trust and am so grateful for} but none the less I was still stressed bc I had again...never left him!  No family here and no idea what to do.  The doc told me it would be a few hours before they could get an OR so I should head home and get everything situated with Parker, shower and do what I needed to do.  I would have plently of time to get back before surgery.  So after debating what to do I headed home {less than 10 miles}.

I arrived home to a happy, full, smiling baby which gave me great relief.  I went upstairs to shower and get Parks things together.  When I got out of the shower I saw a missed call...the doc of course.  An OR opened and they were taking him into surgery.  I felt horrible.  Wayne went to surgery alone with no one there at the hospital with him. Again I was in tears!

I rushed and got back to the hospital as soon as I could.  Sat in the waiting room for what seemed like hours and the doc finally came out.  Said surgery could not have gone any better.  3 pins and a long recovery {3 months}, but he was a champ!!  He did mention that Wayne told him going into surgery that he was NOT staying at the hospital.  Men!!  So I was cleared to take him home later that night.

So here I am...at home after my first night and day as a mother of TWO...one a 8 week old and a 31 year old!!  If I thought I was house bound before...I am in for a big reality check!!  Wayne is definately home for 6 weeks.  He has already asked me around 5 times today "how in the heck are you a stay at home mom?  This is boring." ...its only day one buddy!!  This should be an interesting journey!!

So I am off to take care of my boys...Pray for me!!!

3 comments:

  1. How awful! Poor Wayne. Poor You. I will admit you made me laugh with the no bra, no pants thing. ha! Praying for a speedy recovery, your sanity, and that you'll be back home by next winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, my word. That sounds awful. Praying for y'all to stay sane and heal quickly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!!! I can only imagine how scary that must have been! I'm glad you have a trusty neighbor to help out. I'm praying for you and your two babies :)

    ReplyDelete