Monday, November 21, 2011

DIY Ruffle Tree Skirt

Pinterest has sucked me in to being crafty once again!!  We decided to pull all of our Christmas decor up from the basement this weekend and it got me thinking that I was ready for a new tree skirt.

I decided before I went out to purchase a new one I would attempt the ruffled DIY I had seen on Pinterest.  (If it turned out a mess...no loss, right?)

So I headed to Hobby Lobby on a fabric search.  My tree is decorated in browns, golds, apple green, deep red with a few splashes of other colors.   I really was not sure what I was going for with the skirt but just decided to keep it pretty simple.  I didnt want sparkle or shine or anything like that. 

Here are the products used to make the skirt.  I used my old tree skirt as the base.

old tree skirt, glue gun, glue sticks, scissors, 5 yars of fabric

I got a total of 5 yards of fabric combined.  3 of the print and 2 of the solid.  I cut my fabric into 4 inch strips.  Once it was cut I started to glue.  I started from the outside and worked my way in.  I would glue down a little, then ruffle, and repeat.  Make sure to overlap your rows a little!



This step went on for a few hours with many breaks throughout.  And here is my final product!




Overall I am really happy with it!  Once I have it around my tree I may decided I do want to add a little shine after all.  If that is the case I may add a think layer between existing layers of some shimmer..but that is really only if I can find a fabric that will work!!

Hope to have my tree done this week and will post pics of the skirt with tree then!!!

2 comments:

  1. ooooo I love it! great job, I need to make a new one cause I don't like ours. Pinterest is so awesome!


    Joeylee
    Sweet N Sassy Girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! You are the queen of DIY!

    ReplyDelete